Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KD43XH8196BU and Sony HT-IS100

profile.country.GB.title
GeoffAE
Explorer

Sony KD43XH8196BU and Sony HT-IS100

I've posted here to see if I can get some guidance on what I have done wrong in the set up. 

The cinema system has a single HDMI output with 3 HDMI inputs, + S video and audio output, connected devices to the cinema system are:

Sky Q

Playstation

Raspberry Pi running Kodi.

I have initially set this up so that the Sky Q box works, you turn on the Q box that turns on the TV and the cinema system, picture displays, sound through cinema system speakers, this is excellent for the wife :slight_smile:

Over the Christmas period I updated my NAS, so I needed to update Kodi to locate the NAS on it's new IP address, so turned on the TV which in turn turned on the cinema system. As I expected the TV displayed 'no signal on HDMI 4' so as I would have done on the previous TV I changed the input on the cinema system to the HDMI the Pi was plugged into. Result -> nothing, no output to the TV, so I tried the input for the Playstation, same result as the Pi, changed to SAT input for Sky Q and we're in business.

At this point the brick wall went up and the little grey cells shut down and I've been trying to make sense of both manuals. The only option that stands out so far is that the Bravia option on the TV for connected devices displays as Audio System, this is where I have drawn a blank as that is exactly the same as I had using the older TV.

My thoughts are, is to disable this (some how) and allow the TV and the cinema system to 'find themselves' with connected devices as they both have Bravia Sync. However, one has to be careful not upset the current harmony just so I can get my 'toys' to work, which technically they should.

Any pointers would be gratefully appreciated :slight_smile:

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Edit failure. Please see corrected post below.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@GeoffAE 

It helps to be clear about what exactly is happening here.

When you turn on the Sky Q box, this turns on the HT-IS100, and switches it to the input for the Sky Q (which I think you call SAT). I’m not sure exactly how, but I would think it is via CEC, which is the industry standard for controlling other equipment over HDMI. And ‘BraviaSync’ is Sony’s name for CEC.

You should check in your Sky Q documentation to see if CEC is in use. Which Sky might well call by its own pet name, e.g. ‘SkyLink’ or something similar 😛

But whatever, the IS100 then, in turn, turns on the TV, by BraviaSync as both are Sony devices, and switches the TV to the input that the IS100 is on.

But which one is that? I would have expected the IS100 to be coming in on HDMI 3, the ARC port. Though as it doesn’t support ARC, I suppose you could have it on HDMI 4 instead, as this would make no difference here; but do check this.

So switching it on as you did to adjust Kodi, Sky Q still worked, but the other two inputs did not?

Did you have these devices switched on? It’s likely that this wouldn’t happen automatically.

But apart from not being able to get at the Pi, I’m not clear what else might be wrong; you don’t say.

Nothing should have changed, essentially. So switch off everything, back to standby. Turn on the Sky Q. This should fire up the IS100, and then the TV, and show Sky Q on the TV.

Then switch on the Pi, and switch the IS100 to the input for the Pi. You should then see the Pi, and be able to make the changes you need.

Is this what happens?

profile.country.GB.title
GeoffAE
Explorer

@royabrown2  said Then switch on the Pi, and switch the IS100 to the input for the Pi. You should then see the Pi

That is what doesn't happen, but it is what I expected to happen as the IS100 controls the output, what I get is the TV telling me to check the input.

Initially I had the IS100 plugged into HDMI 4, found yet more documentation on the Sony site that suggests using HDMI 3 (Arc) or HDMI 2 but the output is the same, the Sky box works, but the output from the Pi and the Playstation shows check the input on the TV.

Both the TV and the IS100 have Bravia Sync this was one of the reasons why I bought this TV + I like Sony's quality.

If this was a PC or my server I would just start again, redeploy the software, reformat, jobs done, but with this the documentation is not very explanatory. All I'm looking to do is to 'push' the sound from each input on the IS100 to the surround sound speakers, the picture/image should display anyway using HDMI.

My thoughts are is to some how reset the TV to factory defaults and start again, but where's the reset 🙂

Thanks for your reply, I was trying quote parts of your reply to respond too, but all forum software is different 🙂  

profile.country.GB.title
GeoffAE
Explorer

Might have resolved it, for whatever reason the TV had lost network connectivity, which makes no sense as there three other items that are connected to Ethernet and I could communicate with them including the Pi.

I went through a complete factory reset on the TV, start again as if out of the box, now we're getting somewhere, the TV will now display a video signal from any of the three connected devices.

Kodi on the Pi is going through a database clean, that's due to the server side changes, will have for that to complete, but it's moving in the right direction.   

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Hi @GeoffAE 

As you say, it makes no sense.

My next suggestion was going to remark on the likelihood that the 2009(?) IS100, being HDMI 1.4 at best, and possibly an even earlier version, might be showing some incompatibilities with HDMI 2.0 devices. It shouldn’t have, but it might make these devices drop back to operating at the earlier HDMI standard. And I was going to suggest that you try plugging them directly into the TV, and see if they worked that way.

But now you have got it all working again, which is good; however, the above comment on HDMI 1.4 versus 2.0 remains true, and trying the devices directly on the TV, to see if they work better for being on HDMI 2.0, remains valid.

Though if they do, and you want to keep them directly on the TV, you would probably need to use optical to send the sound back to the IS100, as it predates ARC 😢

My only theory about the TV starting to work properly again after the Factory Reset is that there was more wrong that just the loss of internet connectivity, and it was one of those things being fixed that brought the missing inputs back to life. Because, like you, I can’t think of any way that losing (only) internet connectivity would stop any HDMI inputs, let alone two out of three.

profile.country.GB.title
GeoffAE
Explorer

@royabrown2 

TBH the HDMI versions never crossed my mind and could have been a contributing factor, I've had the IS100 for quite sometime. At the time of buying the TV I considered getting a sound bar, but the problem comes down to which one.

As to the network I changed the switch in my loft to spare, so I'm also wondering if the original switch is breaking down.

Having done the factory reset (and getting Kodi sorted) what is interesting is that each unit is selectable on the TV's input menu using HDMI 3, that wasn't the case when connected to the HDMI 4 input on the TV. So something has changed and the only thing I can remember that was different, during the set up of the TV for the second time the screen flashed a message Audio System Active.

So the Bravia Sync was picking up the IS100 as I have that set to Sync on, but on the initial set up I had to set the Audio System manually even though the IS100 was on.    

I'm satisfied now that this is working as I expected albeit I have some older tech, which is fine as I probably won't get around to using 4k anyway. I have one small quirk which I can live with as I assume it's related to signal output. 

You mentioned something being more wrong than just the loss of internet connection, about a week ago the TV would not turn on, I unplugged power supply from the TV, unplugged from the mains left it for about 10 mins plugged it all back in and it was fine. That got me scratching my head a bit, but as I was in the process of rebuilding my server I forgot about it.

Many thanks for help, sometimes you just need some else's perspective on a problem.