Join now - be part of our community!

Sony TV KD-43XG8196 recording out

profile.country.GB.title
htafcfan
Explorer

Sony TV KD-43XG8196 recording out

Hope someone can help, I have a HDD/DVD connected but the DVD seems to be faulty when recording from hard drive but discs still play ok.

What am hoping can do is play DVD in that machine to the TV and then use another recorder to record from the TV and hope this is possible to do as does say USB HDD Recording possible.

Would I be able to connect from USB 3 to a DVD Recorder that has HDMI.

Hope someone can tell me if this possible

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Maybe I didn't understand your question, but your tv is able to record (if youview is disable) on a HDD directly connected to it not to another connected device

profile.country.GB.title
htafcfan
Explorer

Ok thanks, what am trying to do is get the files off the HDD that is connected to the TV now and can record to it from Sky TV but if then use the machine to burn a DVD some tracks internally then some have no sound but most do.

I had hoped that by connecting another recorder via USB3 that could play the recorded files to the TV via HDMI then use another machine to record what is seen on the TV screen

Re YouView never really make use of this.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@htafcfan 

OK, so you have a DVD recorder with a built-in hard disc, and you are able to use this as an HDD device to record from the TV.

And presumably, to play back these files from the HDD on the DVD recorder, over an HDMI link to the TV, and get both video and audio on all of them.

But when you copy these file internally to a DVD from the HDD in the recorder, some of them have no audio.

So you want to play them back through the TV over HDMI from the HDD on the DVD recorder, and use another recorder on USB 3 to record what the TV is showing.

Questions:-

Why don’t you just try it?

Looking at how recording works on the TV, is it only broadcast programmes that it will record? (In which case what you want to do won’t work)

Why do you need the TV in the loop? Is there no way just to copy the recordings directly from the recorder they are on to the second recorder?

Say you get the recordings intact onto the second recorder, though. Are you any better off? Is that going to be a portable HDD, where the one in the DVD recorder isn’t? Or are you going to be wanting to get these recordings onto DVD, where you might still find the audio doesn’t come across?

And, fundamentally, why in the first place do some recordings copied to DVD have audio, and others not? Does it correlate with SD/HD, or 2.0/5.1, or DTS to Dolby, or recording source, or what? Or is there copy protection going on here?

Lots to ask yourself about this process.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
htafcfan
Explorer

Hi Roy

Yes I have had a Philips HDD/DVD recorder since new in 2007 and has always worked just fine, record from Sky to the HDD and then burn compilation DVD via that machine, which use to trade with people in Europe and USA and until recently had no issues, however I was going to copy some DVD that I created a couple of years ago and put them in a new Blu Ray player to check the contents and that was when found the issue with normally the first recorded track not having sound. If play them back on same machine all is well.

Tried these discs in another DVD player and recorder still have and had always played these discs and same issue.

If now put the discs in my laptop or desktop then all in fine.

Had hoped the HDD out via USB3 would solve this having seen the HDD out info.

Am awaiting a DVD cleaning set arriving as think must be a DVD drive issue and hope this will fix the issue but then I no longer have the 3 DVD worth of files on either Sky or Philips HDD so that was why had hoped could play these and then record then onto this other DVD recorder.

My neighbour has put PC together over the years and has offered to look and the innards of the Philips if the cleaning disc does not work and see if can put a new DVD recorder in.

Have only had this new TV since November my last Sony TV was scart based of course.

The link from Sky to the HDD is still scart.

Marcus

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@htafcfan 

Is what you are doing legal?

If it isn’t, then sorry, but the Community rules forbid any further discussion of this topic.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
htafcfan
Explorer

As far as know is OK, these are anyting on UK TV relating to The Beatles be it news items, music played on likes of MTV and VH1 which is lot less of now, stuff like items on BBC such as Antique Roadshows, all are very short recordings.

profile.country.GB.title
htafcfan
Explorer

The DVD cleaner arrived and whilst think this speeded up the internal recording their was till no sound on other DVD player.

My neighbour has offered help and found a YouTube video showing the internals and is a standard HD and a standard DVD drive he things with a control board, has agreed to take a look and thinks may have spare DVD drive to put in to see if that solves it, if not may need more investigating.