Join now - be part of our community!

Disappointed - no browser on KDL-48WD653

profile.country.GB.title
zeus1958uk
Explorer

Disappointed - no browser on KDL-48WD653

After having an LG which developed problems Mum thought she'd change manufacturer. We went to Costco and I saw the KDL-48WD653 and suggested it to Mum. She agreed and added that being Sony it must be good and reliable so she bought it and we looked forward to again going onto Ancestry.com together as we had done with the LG. I was therefore most surprised and disappointed however when I found that this TV from the supposed market leader unlike most other manufacturers (if not all) did not have a browser! Having checked other forums etc I confirmed that in fact the KDL-48WD653 does not have a browser. I only wished that I'd looked at reviews before suggesting to Mum that she buy this. Sadly we only got this one as a replacement for the LG and didn't really have the time for research as an immediate replacement was needed. I just took it for granted that in this day and age a 'smart' TV will have a broiwser as what is the point of it being 'smart' without one. Picture and sound are fine but as we bought this to use the Ancestry site too it's a bit of a let down and I wouldn't recommend it for this reason. Other apps are somewhat limited anyway so it's not as 'smart' as maybe it likes to think it is.

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

You posted this same question over a month ago:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/other-tvs/bravia-48wd653bu-web-browser/m-p/2230012#M46809

Of which I replied a day later:

"

I understand how you feel, however the WD65 range are a budget 'smart' tv.  I dont like the term 'smart tv' myself, but its a marketing buzzword for internet connected TV.  Sony, like all manufacturers sell TVs at different price points.  To meet this price point, certain features/functions are either included or excluded. 

In your case, if a certain feature is a must, you really need to either ask the retailer or do some research before purchasing.  This ensures that you are not disappointed upon purchasing/using the TV.

"

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

And 'Other TVs' is where this thread belongs, not in Android TVs, since this is not an Android model 😞

Which may go some way towards explaining the lack of a browser,

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thread moved to "Other TVs" board

profile.country.GB.title
zeus1958uk
Explorer

I wasn't aware I'd put it in with any TV category as such just 'general forum' or something to that effect. It's still a shame though that when other manufacturers are releasing TVs with browsers built in that Sony produce a TV that does not. Android or not if other manufacturers are doing it and most people want a browser with their smart TV then why produce one that does not and also is so very limited regarding apps in general. More of a semi-smart Tv or not even 'smart' at all as it is very poor on that front. I assume now that this reply is ending up at the right place? 

profile.country.GB.title
zeus1958uk
Explorer

Slightly off subject but I'm new here. Is the 'kudos' that I've just read about  the 'heart' symbol? I wanted to give your reply kudos so I hope I have done. If not could you please point me in the right direction. Many thanks Barry

profile.country.GB.title
zeus1958uk
Explorer

😠😠😠

profile.country.GB.title
zeus1958uk
Explorer

Hi, I did do research but took 'smart' to be just that. Sadly now I know that some TVs are 'smarter' than others. Cheers anyway

profile.country.GB.title
zeus1958uk
Explorer

Didn't ask for a 'funny' answer. 😠