Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Twobins

@Cbrpaul01 wrote:

Hello all,

I googled my sony tv and found this forum, please  can you help

I have a Sony Android  KDL50W805CBU, its 3 weeks old , i have the follwoing issues

1.TV turns itself off

2.TV turns back on if turned off

3.Random reboots

4.Picture went into what i desribe as " cartoon view"  almost animated look, had to reboot to clear

5.Freezes on menus

Now i have just noticed i have lost all Satellite channels, im thinking Sony has now removed this with the recent software update, can some please confirn this.

I have until this Friday to return for a full refund, so please advise.

Thank you

Paul

Give yourself time to think and take it back. Sony are very slow in fixing faults and the heavy discounting of these 2015 models indicates all is not as it should be. 

elraouk

£499 for the 43X8305C is very cheap, no 5 yr warranty with Amazon, but £140 off the JL price...  Am still within my JL return period... 
Cbrpaul01
Explorer

Thank you for the reply,

Please can you confirm if Sony have removed freesat / satellite functions ?

Paul

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cbrpaul01 wrote:

Thank you for the reply,

Please can you confirm if Sony have removed freesat / satellite functions ?

Paul

Hi there

Sony TVs are not Freesat, but if you have YouView enabled, the satellite tuner will be disabled.  To use the satellite tuner, you must disable YouView.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/article/109739

Cheers

Cbrpaul01
Explorer

thank you for the reply,  and the link , but forgive me , i cant seem to find how to disable youview on that link

Paul

elraouk

Looking on the PC (not app on my phone) and I can see Amazon do do the 5yr warranty. For ?499 it has to be a good deal, even with the quibbles.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cbrpaul01 wrote:

thank you for the reply,  and the link , but forgive me , i cant seem to find how to disable youview on that link

Paul

If you would like to disable YouView, press the HOME button and navigate to [Settings] > [Channel setup] > [YouView setup] > [Disable] and choose Yes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@elraouk wrote:
Looking on the PC (not app on my phone) and I can see Amazon do do the 5yr warranty. For ?499 it has to be a good deal, even with the quibbles.

89% claimed - you need to make your mind up :grin:

Edit: make that 93% now

elraouk

Have one in my basket, with 8 mins to run . I do need a second TV, was hoping to get a deal either on the 49" X83C or a 48" Samsung on Friday; but at this price I am seriously tempted to buy it. Not sure I'd go through the hassle of returning the other to JL though if I found a deal on Friday for a bigger set .
profile.country.GB.title
Shalendran

@Twobins

I have the same TV KDL50W805CBU but no such issues mentioned. I have not updated to the latest software version though but just one previous to the current one. The few problems i face are no HDD recording, flickering on changing the channels. Sometimes it does not switch on the connected audio equipment eventhough they are all connected by HDMI.