Join now - be part of our community!

5.1 DD audio over HDMI-ARC from DVB tuner

SOLVED
lancey_ss
Explorer

5.1 DD audio over HDMI-ARC from DVB tuner

Hi all,

I'm returning my Philips Android TV 49PUS7600 as it's unable to output multichannel audio over the HDMI-ARC connection when input is the onboard TV tuner (DVB-C signal). 

One of the options I have for replacing is the Sony X85 series. Can anyone confirm you are getting 5.1 output correctly over the HDMI ARC connection from the 2015 Bravia Android TVs when source is the on-board tuner?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Yes both by HDMIARC and optical

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Yes both by HDMIARC and optical

lancey_ss
Explorer

Thank you very much. So indeed it's not an Android problem, but rather specific to Philips. They are dead silent on the subject...

Anything else which should bother me to not purchase an X85 series?

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@lancey_ss wrote:

Anything else which should bother me to not purchase an X85 series?

Try reading the 450+ page thread of issues that exist with these sets... "2015 Bravia Android Issues".

Personally, before sending my set back to Sony my problems included but were not limited to...

1) Hit-and-miss ARC support. - I tried in excess of a dozen different units with mixed results.

2) SEVERE lip-synch issues with HDMI sources - which varied from unit to unit and even (in the case of BD players) disc-to-disc when the set was configured to output anything other than PCM.

3) Random freezes

4) Random reeboots

5) Set would randomly tuen itself on

6) Satellite tuner kept deleting wanted channels, and adding-back unwanted ones...

No amount of 'factory resets' or tinkering with the configuration would solve these issues. - My personal and professional opinion is that they are completely unfit for purpose and should not be on sale to the public. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Please @Caledonian_TV let's stop spamming every thread: you have addressed him to the thread of complains, I think it's enough. My personal opinion is that it is a very good TV, with some bugs (very minor in my own set, severe for the users who write in that thread) in the operating system on which Sony is working releasing several fixes.

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@rooobb wrote:

Please @Caledonian_TV let's stop spamming every thread: you have addressed him to the thread of complains, I think it's enough. My personal opinion is that it is a very good TV, with some bugs (very minor in my own set, severe for the users who write in that thread) in the operating system on which Sony is working releasing several fixes.

Roob... You're another one who can refer to the response given in Arkell Vs Pressdram! "Every thread" - tell me; do Sony have a special supply of straw men that they supply to their fanboys? - Because it strikes me that this is 'all they have' in terms of trying to defend the indefensible... 

@Did you miss the bit where the O/P wrote:

"Anything else which should bother me to not purchase an X85 series?"

...Or would you prefer that they just get the 'party line' from Sony and remain ignorant to the very real issues that have impacted on many many people who have been lumbered with these things?

One of the things that really infuriates me is the way in which Sony have deployed their fanboys to try and interfere with the truth about these sets getting out on social media... These sets are a disaster! An unmitigated DISASTER!  - That the the likes of you should try to paint the truth as "spam" is risible! - And indicative of just how desperate Sony are!

Sorry Roob... Sony haven't bought MY silence!

And NO!  - I WON'T stop trying to help people by warning them off a piece of improperly- tested junk that should never have reached the market. - And that's not just a personal opinion, but a PROFESSIONAL one which I'm quite happy to defend in court!  

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

No comment. My tv is working fine your old set no: that's it. Or you want to convince me that my tv is not working? Or that sony built my own set better because i'm a "fanboy"?
Caledonian_TV
Contributor

...So one set (yours) is working 'fine'; allegedly.   So what?  There is a great deal of evidence to suggest that thousands of these sets are a complete and utter disaster!  Not just my old set... Even those on display in the very shops that are trying to flog them to an unsuspecting public are showing the very same symptoms!  - And there is a common thread as to exactly how they misbehave...

You literally cannot buy one, connect it to nothing more than a mains supply and an aerial, and hope to watch ordinary TV programmes without problems... 

And the fact is, that in the eight months since they released them, Sony have done hee-haw to solve these problems... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Caledonian_TV wrote:

Roob... You're another one who can refer to the response given in Arkell Vs Pressdram! "Every thread" - 

Who the others?

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

All the others who would rather censor the truth via (variously) direct censorship, infiltration and attempting to shoot the messenger!  - Many of whom appear to be directly or indirectly in Sony's pocket! 

Some know who they are, others need it spelled out!