Join now - be part of our community!

5.1 DD audio over HDMI-ARC from DVB tuner

SOLVED
lancey_ss
Explorer

5.1 DD audio over HDMI-ARC from DVB tuner

Hi all,

I'm returning my Philips Android TV 49PUS7600 as it's unable to output multichannel audio over the HDMI-ARC connection when input is the onboard TV tuner (DVB-C signal). 

One of the options I have for replacing is the Sony X85 series. Can anyone confirm you are getting 5.1 output correctly over the HDMI ARC connection from the 2015 Bravia Android TVs when source is the on-board tuner?

Thanks.

29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Caledonian_TV wrote:

You literally cannot buy one, connect it to nothing more than a mains supply and an aerial, and hope to watch ordinary TV programmes without problems... 

Incorrect.  Im watching mine now - sweeping generalisations :wink:

Granted, some people have tvs that have issues but the overwhelming majority do not share your experience (thankfully).  

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Understood,  you have the truth.
Caledonian_TV
Contributor

No... Not incorrect at all; as the complaints of hundreds of people, broken-down sets sitting on display in the shops and piles of returned sets behind the service counters clearly indicate...

As for "sweeping generalisations" - You really can't help but contradict yourself can you?  Are you calling the GREAT MANY people who have returned these sets as faulty liars now?  Is that the Sony way?  - Censorship doesn't work, shilling doesn't work... 

You are familiar with the story of the Emperor's new clothese aren't you?

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@rooobb wrote:
Understood,  you have the truth.

What do you not understand about straw-man arguments being only to your own discredit in all but the eyes of fools?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Deflection by personal attack and using the dead cat arguement 

lancey_ss
Explorer

Wow, I didn't know a simple question would ignite such a flame war.

Anyways, i've opted today for the Sony X8507C and my Philips is already on it's way back. 

Generally, there's no single major TV manufacturer forum which is not clogged by complaints of their "smart" TV sets. I think this is indicative of the TV sets industry, where every one manufacturer has opted to go with his own platform and be the best. And the results we (the end users) are harvesting now. 

Android TV is maybe an attempt to actually consolidate things up a bit, and make it more attractive and easy for app developers to reach a wider audience. We are yet to see things like HBO GO on it, so time will tell..

I'm generally after a good quality 4K picture and 5.1 DD sound out via ARC when watching TV - these two things would be more than enough for me.

I'll report back in a week how the experiment goes... :slight_smile: Thanks everyone for sharing your opinion and stop shooting all over.

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@Quinnicus wrote:

Deflection by personal attack and using the dead cat arguement 

- Then why are you now indulging in exactly that?   Factually the attacks on me and on the facts have been via entirely straw-man arguments. It's unfortunate if those who can only indulge in these are made uncomfortable by the reality of these being highlighted.  - As I said previously; this, combined with infiltration and censorship seems to be the best 'Sony' can do by way of defending this farce.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Caledonian_TV wrote:
- As I said previously; this, combined with infiltration and censorship seems to be the best 'Sony' can do by way of defending this farce.

yet no evidence provided.  Nice use of 'the big lie' technique

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@lancey_ss wrote:

Wow, I didn't know a simple question would ignite such a flame war.

Unfortunately Sony have been 'working hard' to deflect attention from the very real problems that exist with these sets.  And for months now there have been allegations of censorship, corporate shilling and general infiltration of social media in the efforts to do so...   I am of these opinion these allegations are well founded.

I'm afraid the reality here is that the problems that Sony have with these sets far exceed those of other manufacturers... Seriously; it's not just a case of 'touchy' Android apps you can either 'take or leave'...   And as an experienced, trained and qualified broadcast technician my advice to anyone considering the purchase of one of  is not to touch one with the proverbial 10-foot barge-pole...

And that's based on the experience of having suffered one of these disaster areas in my own home for some six weeks or so...  

Sony's little pets don't like the fact that a qualified technician is prepared to call these things out... 

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@Quinnicus wrote:

@Caledonian_TV wrote:
- As I said previously; this, combined with infiltration and censorship seems to be the best 'Sony' can do by way of defending this farce.

yet no evidence provided.  Nice use of 'the big lie' technique

So...  450+ pages, thousands of posts from hundreds of disgrunteld customers  complaining of very serious problems - on this one forum alone -  is all part of a "big lie" then?  Really? Is that the best Sony can do?   Hysterical!