Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia KD 43XE8005 does not send stereo audio to Sonos Beam

profile.country.GB.title
chrisridd
Explorer

Bravia KD 43XE8005 does not send stereo audio to Sonos Beam

Hi,

TL;DR: I've managed to stop my TV from sending stereo to the Sonos Beam, only 5.1 works. How do I make it work again?!

So I've got a Bravia Android TV, and a Sonos Beam connected to the TV's HDMI ARC port. My TV channels come from a Virginmedia Tivo 6 box, connected to the TV's HDMI 2.

While trying (and failing) to get a BluRay player to send 7.1 DTS to the Sonos, I managed to stop stereo TV channels working on the Sonos Beam. I need to get these working again! Stuff the BluRay for the time being...

So channels on the Tivo which have stereo audio are now silent on the Sonos. Tivo channels which are Dolby Digital, play fine on the Sonos. The Sonos app reports that the Beam is receiving "silence" and "5.1" respectively.

I've temporarily connected the Sonos Beam to the Tivo's optical audio out, and the channels with stereo sound are fine. As are the 5.1 channels. So I think that shows the Sonos is working, and the Tivo is working.

For the life of me, I can't get the TV to pass stereo back to the Sonos Beam. I'm only seeing 2 things on the TV that look related:

1. In the Action menu for HDMI 2, I can set the connection to be Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus
  2. In the Home screen audio settings, I can switch between "Auto 1", "Auto 2", and "PCM".

The only thing that seems to work at all is using "Auto 1", and that only gives me sound for TV channels with 5.1 sound.

Are there are audio settings on the TV that I'm missing?

Thanks for any help!!

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@chrisridd 

Try setting PCM, and report back here, success or failure.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
chrisridd
Explorer

Thanks for the reply!

I did try PCM, and it resulted in silence on all channels.

This morning I did a factory reset of the TV, and reattached the Sonos Beam after the TV had finished configuration. And the Sonos Beam now works!!

I've checked the (now default) TV settings and it is "Auto 1". But unlike pre-reset, it now gives audio on all channels.