Join now - be part of our community!

Horizontal linearity error. Subtle but its there. This is on KD43XD8305 but may be on others.

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Horizontal linearity error. Subtle but its there. This is on KD43XD8305 but may be on others.

I've noticed when viewing news programmes (eg Sky on Freeview) that the rolling text at the bottom of the screen seems to ever so slightly bunch up toward the centre of the screen as it rolls across. So watching a word enter from the right you see it take up slightly less horizontal space as it moves along and then start to take up more space again as it exits at the left. The compression and expansion is super smooth and continuous, not a jump.

The effect is slight, very very slight indeed but non the less present. A quick switch to the same programmes via HDMI input (from Freeview recorders etc) and the effect/problem gone.

I'm particularly attuned to these kind of anomalies coming from an ex TV service background and where this type of thing would be common on older CRT TV's... but digital, no way. 

Has anyone else noticed this on any of the Android models?  You have to look closely and follow a word as it moves across.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

This little mystery has been solved. It is a peculiarity of the aspect ratio settings, well peculiar to me in that the effect is so subtle and the picture itself is essentially unchanged between settings.

It was on Wide Zoom and it needed to be on Full.

1.jpg3.jpg 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

This screen shot shows the effect quite well. Notice the word and letter spacing on the bottom line of text and how it stretches out at the left and right side. The effect is smooth as the text rolls around from right to left.

Linearity.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

This little mystery has been solved. It is a peculiarity of the aspect ratio settings, well peculiar to me in that the effect is so subtle and the picture itself is essentially unchanged between settings.

It was on Wide Zoom and it needed to be on Full.

1.jpg3.jpg 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Mooly01 

There’s an element of anamorphic in the Wide Zoom setting, while the Full is linear.

Notice how the man’s head is compressed L-R, just like the text, in Wide Zoom.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Yes, it is a bit strange in that its not fully anamorphic (to me anyway) and viewed in isolation it didn't immediately come across as wrong.