Join now - be part of our community!

Arc not working..? 65hx92

profile.country.GB.title
hdvanman1
Explorer

Arc not working..? 65hx92

Hi I have a problem with arc on hdmi 3 not working when on Netflix or digital TV to my Denon Avr-x3500h it will only work with optical only. 65xh92.

The TV is connected to the denon via hdmi. My previous TV which was a Sony 55xe9005 and had no problems at all.

Must say the picture is a serious upgrade from my previous Sony and the speed of the menu system. 

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
hdvanman1
Explorer

Hi think I have found the problem I have a Amazon fire Cube when disconnected from the denon Avr-x3500h it all works well.

I have tried to connect the fire cube to the TV directly and it all stops working. 

Apple 4k TV works well connected directly to TV Hdmi 2.

Have ordered a 2.1 Hdmi cable.

Thanks for all your ideas. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

If that is the problem, while you are doing it buy also a CECless HDMI cable for the fire cube :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@merseyswine 

The HDMI spec was enhanced in 1.4 to include the option of Ethernet over HDMI. This requires an extra strand in the HDMI cable, but does not alter the number of pins, or their arrangement, in the HDMI plugs and sockets.

But I don’t think anyone ever took this up; so eARC, requiring an extra strand, was mooted to use this. Accordingly, for eARC to work, you need an HDMI cable with Ethernet.

A requirement which lots of High Speed HDMI cables fulfil; you don’t need Ultra cables for eARC, though you may need them for other features on the latest HDMI-using devices.

What is still a closed book to me though, is the negotiation of eARC/ARC; it is supposed to be the case that an eARC  device will ask the device on the other end if it can do eARC, and drop to ARC if not. So neither device should require an eARC/ARC selection option.

And even two eARC devices, linked by an HDMI cable without Ethernet, should just detect this, and both drop to ARC.

But worryingly, we are seeing cases where eARC devices are failing to negotiate anything at all, resulting in no sound, when they should be just dropping to ARC.

Hopefully, this will shake out over time, and with updates, so the question that users ask starts to be ‘why only ARC, not eARC?’ rather than ‘why no ARC at all?’

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
merseyswine

thanks @royabrown2 for this clarification.

So, as I thought, there is a hardware difference between eARC and ARC. And it's not just the HDMI cable. Even though the HDMI connector is the same, the corresponding circuit board and chip in the TV has to be designed to use the ethernet conductor in the eARC/HDMI cable.

So, for a TV to be upgraded to eARC by a firmware upgrade, that would only work if the TV had been manufactured with the hardware already in there to accommodate eARC. I can see that this would be the case, as it is said that many TVs in a range are identical regarding hardware and it's only the different firmware that distinguishes them.