Join now - be part of our community!

how do you use ITV Hub without youview

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
TonyKD49X8309C
Explorer

how do you use ITV Hub without youview

I can use demand 5 and bbc iplayer but cannot use ITV hub or demand 4 as it wants to install youview - i don't like youview and if i install it i cannot use the record to usb function. Does anyone know how to use itv hub without the rubbish youview????

42 REPLIES 42
profile.country.GB.title
suzie75

I was hoping for some tips on how to resolve. Searched on my iPhone in google play and found the individual players. I just don’t find them when I search from google play in the TV. Does Sony own Youview and why are we not able to download the players? 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@suzie75 wrote:

I was hoping for some tips on how to resolve. Searched on my iPhone in google play and found the individual players. I just don’t find them when I search from google play in the TV. Does Sony own Youview and why are we not able to download the players? 

Have you read the post above this one of yours? (cough)

No, Sony does not own YouView, and you can’t download the players because Sony CBA to officially obtain the rights to use these for itself.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
TonyKD49X8309C
Explorer

Youview is horrid, when I need to watch catchup on ITV hub I load youview, then when I'm finished I switch youview off. To be honest I record ITV onto memory stick, the Sony recording facility is fab, another good reason to turn Youview off because the recording facility isn't available while Youview is loaded.

profile.country.GB.title
benhester
New

Sorry to butt in on your existing message board but I'm experiencing the same issue and feeling utterly disappointed wih my new Sony Android TV.

Like other users I have got rid of my old tv, my external recorder and my android TV box as I foolishly assumed my new Android TV would have all this functionality built in.

I too have been puzzled by the message that says no recording available and ended up switching off youview.

Now I'm trying to watch All4 and the set tells me i need to turn it back on. 

So the outlook is that I will have to continue switching it on and then pop back into the menu to disable it whenever i need to usb record???!!!.

This feels really clunky and I can't tell you how dissapointed i am that Sony / youview have left it this way.

I can see how youview is bundled in with All4 and so they go together or not at all.

But Sony can at least release an update to have just one button to press to enable / disable youview so users can more easily get the best off both worlds.

Please take down the "Solved" banner from this post as this really really is not the case.

Has nobody from Sony seen these posts? Can someone comment please?

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
TonyKD49X8309C
Explorer

Hi, Sony are not interested, shame as the recording facility is good, you view is OK, but I find it better to record to USB on the channels I have no option to use you view and use catchup on the other channels. Other manufacturers are worse than Sony.

Get Outlook for iOS
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@TonyKD49X8309C wrote:

So if it is impossible to use the ITV hub app without youview, how can you record freeview channels to usb?

From the Freeview UI on the TV, live as they are transmitted.

You can’t record on-demand programmes anyway, even on the players you do get on the Freeview side.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@TonyKD49X8309C and @benhester

Try opening the present 🎁 I left for @suzie75 above. I’m sure she won’t mind :santa:

profile.country.GB.title
Pete0001

@royabrown wrote:

Hint 1 - you could have edited your original post from the little gear icon top right, saved yourself the second post.

Hint 2 - a little present :gift:

Finally a solution. Works great thanks @royabrown

profile.country.GB.title
gcac2828

I have been emailing Sony support for past 8 weeks...replys from support just go around in circles.

They don't give strait answers, they emailed me a new OS update so was expecting it to now provide ITV.All4 UKTV.

No such luck....This is the last Sony I will purchase.

profile.country.GB.title
Pete0001

Someone has a solution one page 1!