Join now - be part of our community!

Remote Control Wont Change Channels

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
micking80
Explorer

Remote Control Wont Change Channels

My KD-55X8509C received a software update on 29 March and since then my RMT-TX1000 remote control will not change channels ie up/down programme buttons and numbers buttons don't work. All other buttons  eg on/off, home, guide, volume etc etc all work fine. This suggests to me that the update has caused the problem.

However, I have tried all the various "tricks" suggested by forum members like pressing each button, but none work. According to other posts here Sony Support are not helpfull on this subject. Does anyone have any ideas/thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
micking80
Explorer

Spent quite a bit of time in trying dozens of possible solutions to my problem with my remote controller then today while I was messing around with my settings I came across IR Blaster which  I thought I had not seen before. Tried setting it up but wouldn't work. Checked cable and found the usb was not fully seated in TV so pressed it home and set up IR blaster and Hey Presto the Sony remote controller works perfectly including channel changing.

If at first you don't succeed try and try again!

It might be an idea to include IR Blaster issues among the possible causes of remote controller not working properly.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi Mick, 

I would suggest resetting your TV. You can find more details on how to do this here.

Let me know if this resolves the issue?

Cheers,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
micking80
Explorer

Thanks Sean. I have already tried resetting a few times with negative results.

profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi again Mick,

That's so frustrating.

I would suggest getting in touch with the Support team here for further help.

Best wishes,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
micking80
Explorer

As suggested I emailed Sony Support. Their reply provided two links - one for testing the IR signal and the other for buying a new remote. Unfortunately both links stated  "this article has been moved to a new place"- unimpressed!

I did receive new links from Sony but they did not help. One of them directed me to a Sony remote controller wholesaler so I was not able to buy one there!

Having tried everything Sony has suggested except a factory reset (which I have good reasons to avoid) I bought a brand new remote controller but like its predecessor it does everything except change channels! This strongly suggests to me that the TV software update is responsible, particularly as my Virgin Media remote works perfectly in all respects.

I will definitely think twice before even considering  buying another Sony product, not that they will care a jot. 

profile.country.GB.title
Ricard51
Explorer

Hi kudos

I bought a new TV Sony 55 ex8596, and my controller also stop working 5 days later.

Done somme sommch like you and tried lots and what work for me was to take the batteries out the controller then press the on button for a minute to get ride of the statistics. Put batteries back it works great. For me

It works 

profile.country.GB.title
micking80
Explorer

Thanks Ricard. Changing batteries hasn't worked for me. I bought a brand new remote controller and batteries and it works perfectly, except it won't change channels either using the channel up/down buttons or the channel number buttons. The fact that I bought a new remote and that this problem arose immediately after the Android 7 software update points directly to that being the cause. 

profile.country.GB.title
jukbee

I think I had similar problem before. This is what I do. It's not a fix but a way around it.

Try changing channels by using Guide button and navigate to any other channels. After that, you should be able to change channels as normal.

profile.country.GB.title
micking80
Explorer

Thanks jukbee. Tried your suggestion but unfortunately it does not work for me.

I'm still in contact with Sony Support but unable to find a solution so far.

profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi again Mick,

Can you try disconnecting all external devices from the TV and then disable all BRAVIA Sync settings - 

(Settings > External inputs > BRAVIA Sync Settings > BRAVIA Sync control)  then if you restart the TV by unplugging at from the wall.

Can you let me know if this helps?

Cheers,

Sean Mc